One of the down sides of our house, of which there are a few, is that it was built on a limited budget, and that meant that much of the woodwork, including the roof and supports were built with pine, which, 1) needs a lot of maintenance, and 2) it is susceptible to termites, of which we do have live action, in the cabaña, and I will have to treat it, but at the moment it is stacked with tools and I can\’t get to it, I just have to watch the sawdust gathering, once I can examine it closer, I may decide it would be better to strip the roof off  the cabaña replacing it with hardwood.

However the wooden roof supports at the front of the house, have had no love over recent years and having been open to the weather were showing the neglect.

So whilst we were in a period of total lockdown, and I was waiting to be able to get some materials, I decided it was an opportunity to show these pillars a little love.

With a combination of machine and hand sanding they came up nicely, after which I gave them three coats of marine varnish, to protect them from the sun and rain.

Where the posts had opened up, as a result of lack of maintenance I mixed up the sawdust from sanding, with wood glue, and pasted it in, hoping it would dry the same colour, unfortunately it dried darker, but at least now the weather can\’t penetrate the timbers.
Another job off the list!

Published by Phil Sale

I moved to Colombia from Spain in 2012, and I am happily married to a Colombiana.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: