I guess that it was too much to hope for that our work yesterday would resolve the problem, unfortunately it hasn\’t, which leaves me with two possibilities:
1. The problem is with the base of the septic trap, and it needs a new concrete lining
2. There is a leak in the pipe between the trap and the lane below.
Initial checks tell me that it is the base, and I am hoping that is the case, I removed the flexi-pipe this morning, the water then entered the trap and sat there, it doesn\’t then enter the exit pipe, until it gets to the height of the pipe. We waited until the lane below was relatively dry, and then Marcela had her shower, water started appearing in the lane again, which points to the problem being the base, or at least a contributory factor. So now I have to replace the flexi-pipe and seal it, then remove all the filter and stones from the bottom of the trap, and concrete it.
If that work resolves the issue, fine, if not I have a major job on, because it will mean digging down a metre outside the trap, to the exit pipe, and dig back following it until I find the effected area. This will be an unknown quantity, because I don\’t know if the pipe goes across the garden at a gentle slope, then down to the lane level at about 2.5m, or the pipe goes from the trap to the lane in one length, in which case I am looking at a long job, and the removal of a lot of material.
If the latter is the case, I have decided to replace the whole section, by taking the pipe across the garden at the height of the trap, ensuring there is a slight slope, then speaking to the neighbours who own the lane and ask if I can break through my wall, and take the down pipe on the outside of the wall, in the lane, and dig across to enter the pit, which would still be a lot of work, but much easier than digging down the whole way on my side, I will give them the option of accepting that option…or the leak!