I need something to keep me busy, I was informed on Friday that I will be having my first knee operation this Wednesday, that I would receive a call on Saturday (yesterday) with the time, and also another appointment for Monday or Tuesday to see the Anaesthetist, but no call, so I am on pins!
I saw this wall hanging in a local DIY Store a week or so ago.
Being all wood, I liked the idea, but instead of stencilling the words, I wanted to burn them on, OK it takes longer but I think it looks more finished.
I started by doing a bit of shopping, I already had the timber, but I needed acrylic paints, so the when I was next in the City I bought a selection.
Then it was time to prepare the wood, I cut the panels from 2×4, various thickness, lengths and widths, not being too particular, but from each section of 2×4 cut I obtained three panels.
I then painted them, using a brush, thinning the paint out with water
but they were too vibrant, so I sanded them down, so the wood was showing through,
and made some backing/hanging boards from 3mm doorskin ply to keep the boards together and also provide a means of hanging them.
It was then onto the computer to come up with some Fonts, to create the words, which I printed out on a laserjet printer in mirror form, (so that they would be the right way around when applied to the wood). I ironed the homemade transfers onto the wood panels, after which I burned them permanently into the wood with my pyrography kit, this is what takes the time, but it is worth it.
I am happy with the process, but think one or two of the Fonts need changing, overall I think it is a success, not too difficult to do, and I can see a production line coming along, with variations on the same theme!