The latter half of this morning and this afternoon, I spent working on the gate post. I cut off the bottom 18\”, and then lined it up with the holes I had drilled through the old post, marked the new post and then drilled for the threaded rod. This was no easy task, as none of the correct sized drill bits wanted to even mark it, so I ended up starting with a needle size, and working my way up, which took some time.
I also had to drill through for the bell push cable. Eventually it was done, the nuts on the roadside, I epoxied onto the threaded rod, then ground the nuts smooth, so they can\’t be undone.
Murphy struck again tonight! the one alteration I still have to make is to buy a bigger wheel for inside the gate, you can just make it out on the top left of the gate, that will push the gate away from the metal support. Unfortunately this evening when Marcela returned, I went to open the gate, holding both dogs on a lead, but as always when Mum returns they were excited and pulling, as a result I didn\’t open the gate correctly, pushing away from this wheel, the metal support caught on a nut, and has twisted.
I will have to try and straighten the support in the morning, without breaking the weld… I am beginning to think I should give up DIY, and take up something less stressful!